Seven graduates from Akwa Ibom State, abducted in Zamfara State on August 17, on their way to the Sokoto State NYSC orientation camp, clocked 53 days today in the dungeons of terrorists.
Also, eight of the 30 students abducted at Federal University Gusau, Zamfara State on September 29 and four female students abducted last Wednesday at Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State are still with terrorists in the two states.
The traumatised parents of the NYSC members have so far paid N13 million to the terrorists, yet, they have refused to release them.
As at press time, the terrorists were demanding an additional N200 million ransom.
A family member of one of the abductees remarked: “We don’t know how we are going to raise that kind of money. Everybody was shocked when two parents told us that after they paid the final N8 million (to make up the N13 million ransom negotiated), the terrorists suddenly refused to release our children.
“They said instead, the kidnappers contacted them to demand an additional N200 million ransom. We have paid N13 million already. First, we paid N5 million, later N8 million.
Some parents sold their lands, and some even collected loans to raise the N13 million. We have not received any help from the government.
So, how are we going to raise this fresh ransom of N200 million? We have deliberately kept this development from my mother. I don’t think that poor widow will survive if she hears this. We are suffering and helpless.”
Another of the affected parents remarked: “Terrorists are molesting our children and the government can’t rescue them. They are communicating with us, parents and relatives, on the phone and we have given the numbers to security agents, yet, they have failed to do anything positive. This is horrific.”
Two weeks ago, the Director General of the NYSC, Brig. Gen. Yusha’u Ahmed, said the agency was working with security agencies to secure the release of the abducted NYSC members.
Speaking at an interactive session with members of the House of Representatives Committee on Youth Development, Ahmed said: “We have full synergy among the agencies.”
But an indigene of Akwa Ibom State, who is also a journalist, Ibanga Isine, in a piece titled, “Free Kidnapped Corps Members: An Open letter”, addressed to the NYSC Director-General, and copied to President Bola Tinubu; President of Senate, Godswill Akpabio; National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu; Minister of Defence, Mohammed Badaru Abubakar and Minister of State, Defence, Bello Matawalle, alleged that the NYSC DG was not doing enough to free the abductees.
Ibanga said: “With due respect, General, how do you sleep in the night knowing that peoples’ children who simply answered the call to serve their country are languishing in the camp of brigands who can take their lives at any time?
“If your child or that of President Tinubu was captured in this way, would you act as if nothing had happened or that you were not responsible for them just because they did not make it to the camp?”
You can read the full letter in this article.
As at now, we are yet to get any Upadate about the rescue or anything and the kidnapped innocent prospective Corps Members who simply obeyed the clarion call to serve their country have been in the dugeon these heartless Gunmen.
We are calling on Mr President, the NYSC DG and other dignitaries involved in the security of this great nation to please look into this issue and rescue our people.
Do not leave without sharing this post. Let’s share till this call for rescue circulate everywhere and until the authority act on it.
Continue sharing massively!