The US Visa application is a process you have to pass through if and only if you want to enter the United States of America. Let me tell you straight here, whatever the reason you want to go to the US, you will need a particular visa depending on your purpose in the United States. What this article is about is to make your US visa application easy and simple. A lot of people might have told you that the US visa application is very hard. Please forget some technical Nollywood movies around making it feel like an American visa is complicated. Applying and processing your US Visa application is very easy and in a short while, you have to know everything there is to know about going to America.
Either you are searching for US visa application from Nigeria or from any other country, or you want the US application form or maybe you want to know where to get the US visa application online. You should keep on reading. This article will also be useful for you if you are searching for us visa application fee and any other questions relating to the US Visa application form.
Let me warn you just before I go into the details that a lot of people out there are after your money. You don’t pay just a random guy online who claim to be an agent some money to do your US visa application for you. These people who will come to you online will tell you that they can do your US visa application for you easily while you sit at the comfort of your home. There have been stories that touch the heart and you don’t want to be a victim. The US visa application is something you can do and should do by yourself. Now that you have the warning, let’s go into details about the US visa application from start to finish.
US Visa Application
So you want to go to the United States of America for pleasure, vacation, Visitation, study or whatever reasons you have. The United States is really a very good and beautiful country to achieve a lot of great things. Many attractions than you can ever witness, many parks and buildings that will stun you and hook you on sight. Going for studies, USA is the best. So for whatever reason behind your US visa application, I will love to congratulate you because you have made a great choice going to the United States of American.
US Visa Application Types
Just as you might have been thinking, there are two types of US Visa and you will have to decide which one you want to apply for.
1. Non-immigrant Visas: These are the types of USA Visas you will apply for if your stay in the US is temporary. No matter how many years you will stay in the US, you will have to go back to your Country one day.
2. Immigrant Visa: This is the types of visa for people who want to live permanently in the United of America.
The temporary stay permit which is the non-immigrant visa has several categories that are important to know about..
1. Business/Tourist Visa
This types of US Visa application is known as the B-1/B-2 and it is mainly for foreign people whose purpose in the United States is to work temporarily (B-1) or for medical purpose or pleasure (B-2). The B-1 generally is meant for travelers who is consulting with business associates, educational or scientific meeting, business conference or professional conventions.
The B-2 is for travelers whose purpose is for recreational activities, tourism, visit with relatives or friends, Medical treatment and every service or social activities.
2. Work Visa
Another type of US Visa application is the Work Visa. This is mainly for travelers who want to work in the US as a non-immigrant temporarily. Under the U.S. immigration law, it is a must apply for a visa depending on the type of work you will be doing. Most temporary worker categories require that your prospective employer or agent file a petition, which the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the United States will approve before you can apply for a work visa. The idea that when you get to the US. You will search for a job will not work.
3. Student Visa
If your purpose is to study or engage in any academic programs in the United States, the student visa is what you will apply for. The United State of America welcomes foreign students with all open arms to study anywhere in the country.
Before you begin your US student visa application, you will need to apply for an admission in a school of your choice. You will then wait for the institution to offer you a provisional admission Letter which must be among the important documents I will talk about below.
Two Types of US Student Visa
The US student visa application is in two types and they are
1. F-1 Visa
This is the most common type of student visa you will see people applying for. If your purpose is to solely for academic studies at a school, an institution, college or university, private secondary schools or English language programme in the United States, then this is the type you need. You will also need an F-1 visa if your course of study is more than 18 hours a week.
2. M-1 Visa
This is for travelers who want to engage in non-academic or vocational study or training at a U.S. institution then you will need an M-1 visa.
4. Exchange Visitor Visa
The purpose of this type of US Visa application is to promote the interchange of person, skills, and knowledge in the field of arts, science and education in general. Participants include students at all academic levels, teachers of primary, secondary, and specialized schools, professors and anyone from any aspect of academic value.
5. Transit/Ship Crew Visas
Let me just explain this type of US Visa application below
Transit (C visa)
This type of US visa application is for a citizen of a foreign country traveling in immediate and continuous transit through the United States en route to a foreign destination. You are not going to the USA, but you will have a stopover in the USA, you will need the transit Visa. Your stay is just for a very short period of time.
Crew (D visa)
If you are a crew member serving onboard a sea vessel or aircraft in the United States you need a crew visa. Crew members of an aircraft or ship that will be transiting through the United States or its waters generally use a combination transit/crew visa (C-1/D).
6. Domestic Employee Visa
This is a type of US visa application that is purposefully for those that want to accompany a person to the United States. This category of domestic employees includes butlers, cooks, Valets, au pairs, chauffeurs, footman, housemaid, nannies, mothers’ helpers, gardeners, and paid companions.
7. Journalist and Media Visas
This is a type of US Visa application for a foreign media representatives who are traveling to the United States to engage their profession. This category applies to members of the press, film, radio or print industries whose activities are essential to the foreign media function, such as reporters, film crews, editors and persons in similar occupations.
The applicant must be engaging in qualifying media organization activities having its home office in a foreign country. The activity must be essentially informational, and relevant to the news gathering process, reporting on actual current events, to be eligible for the media visa.
US Visa Application Required Documents
The next thing to talk about is the required documents for each type of US Visa application above. Documentation is very essential and a mistake or an error in any documents can make the consular officers deny and reject your visa application. Please pay attention to the documents below.
General Required Documents
1. Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) Form. This is am important for you will fill with all sincerity and openness. Click here for more details
2. An international passport that is valid to travel to the United States with at least six months beyond your staying period in the United States
3. One (1) 2″x2″ (5cmx5cm) photograph. Read specifications here
4. A receipt showing payment of your US$160 non-refundable nonimmigrant visa application processing fee, paid in local currency. Did you get that? The officials will not refund this money even if they deny your US visa application.
Those documents above are the general US visa application documents. The below are other necessary documents from the various types of Visas.
United States Business/Tourist visa Required Documents
- The above general documents
- A financial capability evidence including your income, payment of tax, businesses, properties and other assets you possess. A valid evidence of income, tax payments,
- Your travel route and every other detail about your trip.
- A provisional letter right from your employer with details regarding your position, salary, terms or employment, vacation and other details about the work you are going to the US to do.
- A police report with criminal records in relation to any crime, arrest or sentence of any type.
- Remember all documents have to be true
US Visa Application For Medical Treatment Required Documents
If the reason you are going to the United States is for medical treatment or consultation, you will need the below documents.
- A medical statement from a professional or well know hospital stating the conditions and the nature of your illness. In adittion with reasons why you have to come to the US for treatment.
- Also, you will need a letter from the medical practitioner in the US concerning the willingness and readiness to treat the particular illness. The cost details and medical expensesmust also reflect in the letter.
- Financial prove and payment evidence of the medical expenses and Payment for your medical care in the US. An evidence of finances throughout the treatment period must also there.
Documents Required For US Work Visa
If your purpose in the United States is to work, you will need to present the following documents for your application to be successful.
- The above general documents
- You need to provide a proof of your job qualifications with any university diplomas.
- The Original letters from your previous and present employers in confirmation of your position and projects.
- Personnel managers’ details including names and phone numbers at both your previous and jobs
- You should also include your CV.
USA Student Visa Required Documents
If your purpose is to study in the United States of America or partake in any of the Academics programmes, you will need to provide the documents below for your US student visa application.
- Above general documents
- A Form I-20 from your US school or program with an admission letter.
- You will have to present valid documents confirming your strong social, financial, and social connections to your home country with a statement that you will go back to your country after your study.
- A financial capability document and supporting documents that prove you will be able to cater for all your expenses fr your studies. You will present a statement of your account or your sponsors account as evidence also. M-1 applicants must show the ability to pay education expenses and living costs for the whole period.
- You will need an original copy of bank declarations, scholarship and grant letters, and so on.
- In case someone is the one sponsoring your education in the US. You must present a document that shows your relationship to the sponsor with the latest original tax form, bank declaration and full statement of account.
- Academic documents that confirm the preparation of studies, certificates of public examination, school transcripts with grades, standard tests, and diplomas.
Supporting documents for dependents
If a dependent is going with you, you will need to present the following certificate.
- Proof of your relation with the dependent. Either a spouse, child or others. It could be a marriage certificate or birth.
- The best advice is for the family members to apply for their visa differently at the same time.
Exchange Visitor Visa
This type of visa is for all the foreigners who want to take part in an exchange programme.
- The general documents above
- The same documents as for Student Visa with the following below:
- If it’s an organization sponsoring you, please take a certification letter confirming the amount of financial support and the terms.
- A spouse or child should have their Form DS-2019. This form will be useful for the spouse or child to enter the US with you as the main holder of an exchange visitor visa, or to join you in the US later.
Transit or Ship Crew Visa Required Documents
Those who are going to a different location but will have a stop at the United States Of America will have to present the following documents.
- The same documents as for Business/Tourist Visa with the following documents.
- You must submit a valid letter from the headquarter of your company and/or a list of the seamen.
Domestic Employee Us Visa Application Required Documents
This is a type of US visa application given to a household staff as I explained above.
- The same documents as for Business/Tourist Visa in addition to the following.
- A proof that the employer has the ability to pay an ill promised salary.
- You have to provide an evidence that your stay in the US is temporary.
Journalist and Media Visa For Foreign Mass Media Requirement
If your purpose is in relation to media and journalism. You will present Business/Tourist Visa requirement in addition to the following:
- Press card or letters of credence.
- A professional letter from your employer stating the purpose of your travel and the duration of your stay. The number of years you have worked and your experience in Journalism.
- Evidence of publication including samples of previous articles, if you have.
Documents for dependents
If your spouse and child apply for a visa later, they should submit a copy of your visa with the US visa application.
Important Facts To Know About US Visa Application
- Any document that will confirm your stay in the US will be Illegal cannot be useful.
- You should submit original documents not only original documents but original information.
- Do not try to falsify documents. If the US consulate discovers any fake information, you might not be able to enter the USA forever.
- Your privacy is very safe because of the consulates official work with strict confidentiality.
- The consular officer has the power to either reject your visa or approve it.
- You should be ready to provide additional documentation.
Appointment Wait Times
All applicants will have to pass through processing as efficiently as possible. The U.S. Embassies and Consulates strive to always keep the wait time for appointments as short as possible. The earlier you book your appointment, the more likely you are to be able to get the interview date and time you want.
Nonimmigrant visa applicants are encouraged to apply at least three (3) months in advance of the date of travel. So remember, apply early!
Visa Processing Time
Although visa processing time is typically three working days. The processing time for specific cases may vary due to individual circumstances and other special requirements.
This US visa application article has been a long one. I had taken enough time to explain this in details. Now you have all the information you need to begin your US visa application. Go and let me know when you finally get over there.
If you have a question or you need more details or information, ask me below.